Para la versión en español, haga un clic aquí.
With growing concerns over the future of immigrant rights in 2017, El Pueblo has compiled an up-to-date list of information on how to protect yourself in a raid, as well as links to trusted legal advice to consult and plan ahead. Please visit this page for regular updates.
NOTE: These links are NOT to act as a replacement for legal consultation, only to help in preparing for incidents in which detention or deportation are possible.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS DURING A RAID
1. You have the right to refuse opening the door and ask for an arrest warrant.
2. You have the right to remain silent and cannot be punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer outloud.
3. Do not sign any document.
4. Prepare a plan with simple instructions for yourself and your family in case of a raid.
5. The exact location of a raid is irrelevant; you always have rights and can fight a deportation case.
- NC Justice Center - Emergency Planning Guide for NC's Immigrant Community (bilingual)
- NILC - Rights No Matter What (english)
- ACLU slideshow - What to do if you're stopped by police, immigration agents or the FBI (english)
- ACLU booklet - Know Your Rights When Encountering Law Enforcement (english)
- CASA booklet (english)
- ILRC Constitutional Rights Card (spanish/english)
- ILRC - How to Be Prepared for an Immigration Raid (english)
- ILRC - Immigration Raids Alert (english)
- INCITE - Know Your Rights in case of Immigration Raid (english)
- Local 1222 - Know Your Rights in an Immigration Raid (english)
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS VIDEOS
FIND A LAWYER
LEGAL RESOURCES (NATIONAL AND LOCAL)
- U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, Raleigh (not taking detainee cases, but are still accepting pending court cases)
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network
- American Immigration Counsel
- Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
- United We Dream Hotline: 1-844-363-1423
- Schedule a Legal Consultation with National Immigrant Justice Center: 312-660-1370
This list is ongoing as we compile information. For submissions/recommendations, contact email@example.com.